Monday, 30 June 2014

Postnatal Depression and Vitamin D

{1}

In my last Bump Update I mentioned I had been experiencing the odd down day caused by back pain and a general inability to move around like I used to. Therefore, I decided to research different kinds of pregnancy-related depression and discover ways I could potentially arm myself against it.

Postpartum depression, or postnatal depression, is actually rather common and affects around 15% of women. This is not a great situation for mother or new baby to find themselves in after all the excitement and anticipation that pregnancy brings.

This got me thinking:  What makes one women more susceptible to depression than the next women and is there anything we can do to prevent it?

A recent study published in the European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology found a link between low vitamin D levels mid-pregnancy and poor mood.

Vitamin D is an important vitamin which regulates nutrients in the body. Vitamin D is unusual in the fact that we don’t get much of it from our food, the main source is sunlight!

The key period of pregnancy in the study was week 24 to 28 so make sure you get enough vitamin D by doing the following:

*Go for a gentle 15 minute stroll in the sunshine on your lunch break.

*Eat vitamin D sources of food such as fortified breakfast cereal.


*Take a pregnancy supplement. I am currently taking Asda Pregnancy vitamins one a day as I think they are a great bargain!


I am doing all of the above things as my mantra is"Happy Mummy, Happy baby".





Image source {1} By David Roseborough from Los Angeles, United States [CC-BY-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Paper Source: European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology // xvbnnVolume 179, August 2014, Pages 110–116 // Mid-pregnancy vitamin D levels and postpartum depression // Esra Bahar Gura et al

Disclaimer: This article is entirely the author’s opinion only and is not intended as a substitute for medical advice from a doctor. Before commencing any health plan, advice should be sought
from a physician.

27 comments :

  1. Hope your strolls and vitamin I take help lift your mood as from the outside you're really glowing! However ya gotta look after the mind too! I love that the science side of you is coming through this post!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebecca - expect more science when I'm on mat leave because too much Loose Women will crack me up!

      xXx

      Delete
  2. There's also a link between reduced UVA exposure and low mood in young adults, pregnant women and the elderly- all groups that tend to get less sunlight. UVA is linked to reductions blood pressure which can increase good moods too.
    UVB light is the vit D producing wavelength of sunshine- but UVA and UVB are both present in sunshine. So getting out for that walk in the sunshine is very important to get a balance of the two :) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Massively apologise for simplifying the science btw but I want others to understand too :)

      Delete
    2. But why the week 24 to 28 key period? I don't understand.....

      Delete
    3. A lot of women are told to avoid the sun completely during pregnancy.
      But I think the 24/28 week period is one of the mega points that you'll really notice your baby nicking your nutrients (next big bit of development starts). It's only a tentative link (as with most science in pregnant women- very hard to prove for fear of harming babies). Reckon vit D has more of a role during pregnancy and the UVA thing just runs alongside personally...

      Delete
  3. This is actually quite interesting. Hope the walks and the vitamin D help!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Halima! Hope the sun stays out all summer now!

      xXx

      Delete
  4. This is really interesting. I was taking Vit D sups when pregnant, never occurred to me to carry on after I had my baby. I hope you're feeling better soon. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenna, I hope Babba and I can do some walks everyday to keep my levels topped up!

      xXx

      Delete
  5. Forgot to say, I'm over from #babybable linky. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. some great advice here, vitamin D can be difficult to obtain when you can't really move much.
    Thanks for linking to #babybabble
    Carsonsmummy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes totally - i'm lucky to have a large garden I can follow the sun round most of the day

      xXx

      Delete
  7. Getting out and about is so important when you're a new mum to avoid feeling down! It's helped me so much even though I'm in a new area and don't know anyone. The vitamin thing is really interesting, thanks for sharing! #babybabble x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the exercise help too if you can go for a walk in the sunshine

      xXx

      Delete
  8. I hope you feel better soon! :)
    Sounds like you have a nice plan in order. :D

    #BabyBabble

    www.erfmission.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Therese, I do like to have a plan!

      xXx

      Delete
  9. Great post, I won't lie, depression is one thing that really scares me about children, can't help but think I'd be one of those who'd suffer, so nice to know ways to combat it!Thanks Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is a lot you can do to help yourself and never be afraid to get help from others too!

      xXx

      Delete
  10. Great post. Really informative. I'm guessing if Vitamin D comes from the sun thats why everyone is happier in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! And sad in winter - although I do love crisp winter evenings, log fires and mulled wine mmmmm

      xXx

      Delete
  11. Jess I love reading your weekly bump updates! I think it's great to talk about post-depression too, some people close to my heart have had awful experiences with it and I think it needs to be talked about far more openly. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie. I think even the most happy-go-lucky people can suffer from depression and it can have devestating consequences.

      xXx

      Delete
  12. When i had my son i felt like i was a bit depressed after but it's only natural as it's such a big life change! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The baby blues are very common Atosa. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      xXx

      Delete

Leave me a comment- I read and appreciate every single one! xXx